It’s like Christmas in January—that most wonderful time of the year in which CareerBuilder.com releases its annual list of job interview quirks and missteps committed by candidates in the preceding year.
The employment website polled 2,600 HR pros and hiring managers late last year and whittled the interview weirdness down to the following 10 “winners” in which a candidate:
- Called his wife to ask her if the starting salary was enough before continuing the interview
- Brought childhood toys to the interview
- Said her hair was perfect when asked why she should become part of the team
- Bragged about being in the local newspaper for alleged theft
- Ate a pizza he brought with him
- Ate crumbs off the table
- Asked where the nearest bar was located
- Invited interviewer to dinner afterwards
- Stated that if the interviewer wanted to get to heaven, she would hire him
- Asked interviewer why her aura didn’t like her.
CareerBuilder also asked about candidate behavior that would prompt an instant “Don’t call us, we’ll call you” rejection.
Job interview deal-breakers
Being caught lying: 66%
Answering a phone call: 64%
Appearing arrogant: 59%
Dressing inappropriately: 49%
Lacking accountability: 48%
Source: CareerBuilder.com survey, January 2017